Department Mission Statement: The Saint Joseph Academy Department of Visual and Performing Arts is rooted in the universal need for creative expressions, and provides students an environment in which to create and collaborate, while dedicated to increasing awareness of cultural diversity, active communication and expression in a contemporary society.
The Visual and Performing Arts Department offers the following courses: Complete list of Visual and Performing Arts courses
Visual & Performing Art Department Faculty:Shelly Ahern, Chair
- Art I: Art Exploration
- Advanced Art III: Portfolio Preparation
- AP Studio Art
- Foundation Studies: Printmaking and Enameling
- Foundation Studies: Drawing and Painting
- Introduction to Jewelry
- Concert Choir
- Concert Band
- Jazz Band
- String Orchestra
- Music Theory
- Acting I: Skits, Sketches and Theatrical Basics
- Acting II: Historical Exploration of Classic And Contemporary Comedy And Drama
- Foundations Studies: Web Design
- Graphic Design I
- Graphic Design II
- Foundation Studies: Digital Photography
- Foundation and Focus: The Art Of The Motion Picture
M.F.A., Rhode Island School of Design
B.F.A., Cleveland Institute of Art
Terise Janca '93
- 2012 Judge for the Cleveland Photographic Society for a jurored exhibit at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
- 2012 Judge for Cleveland Clinic, Explorers Art Competition (tied to state and national academic standards).
- 2012 CIA B.A.S.I.C teacher for continuing education.
- Board of directors of the Morgan Conservatory, Cleveland.
M.A., Cleveland State University
B.A., College of Wooster
- Participated on Faculty Discussion Panel for Cleveland Museum of Art
- Shown work internationally and domestically in: London, England, New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Sacramento and Cleveland.
M.Ed., John Carroll University
- Equity actress and professional singer with musical theater performance experience in New York and Chicago, as well as in Cleveland. Was last featured at Cain Park Theater in the musical "Nine.”
- Received NYC Bistro Award for performance in an original show titled "Heartbeat, It’s a Lovebeat.”
M.Ed., Kent State University
B.M.Ed., Baldwin Wallace
- Trumpet player in the Lorain County Civic Orchestra.
- Performs at many churches and concert venues on trumpet as a member as Solid Brass of Lorain County.
- Was guest conductor at Lakewood Catholic Academy.
- Was a guest conductor for the Lorain County Catholic School Festival involving seven different catholic school bands.
M.A.T., Marygrove College
B.A., The Ohio State University
- 2011-2012 Scholastics Regional Art Competition: Twelve students received a total of 17 awards at the 2011-2012 Scholastic Cuyahoga County Regional Art Competition, including two gold keys, four silver keys, and eleven honorable mentions.
- Winners of 2012: 10th Congressional District Art Contest: Students received two 1st Place award, one 2nd Place, one 3rd Place and one Honorable Mention.
- 2012 Fairview Hospital’s Community Outreach Program Poster Contest, Cleveland Clinic Cancer Center at Fairview Hospital; One Honorable Mention
- Graphic Design II project for Susan Bazyk, an occupational therapy professor at CSU who is involved in a grassroots research project focusing on the promotion of positive mental health in children/youth in school settings: Six students submitted winning poster and bookmark designs.
- Foundation and Focus: The Art of the Motion Picture: "The All-Girls School: A Documentary” won 1st Place at the 2012 Hathaway Brown Imagine Film Festival in Shaker Heights; "Promise of the Future” won Best Picture at the Golden Locke Film Festival in New Bremen, Ohio. One student won Best Actress for the film. , earning her own set of prizes.