Alumnae in Congregation of St. Joseph Serve More than 345 Years of Combined Service
Congratulations to the following Jubilarians for their incredible service to the Congregation of St. Joseph! We thank them for their dedication to the Congregation of St. Joseph and to the 345 years of combined service among them.
"These women have spent the majority of their lives on the property of 3430 Rocky River Drive, which is extraordinary. I am so grateful for their influence on the academic lives and faith formation of tens of thousands of young people in the Diocese of Cleveland. These faith-filled women were tremendous teachers who were innovative in their research of education, serving as creative thought leaders. Their influence is wide reaching and know that they have handed the faith to generations of people in the greater Cleveland area," shared Distinguished Alumna and CORE Ministry teacher Cathy Lanning Knittel '67.
75 years Sister Madeline Lammermeier '44, CSJ (middle, bottom row of photo) entered religious life on September 8, 1944 from St. Mary Parish, Brook Park. She taught elementary school for 25 years, mainly first and second grades. Assignments included St. Mary, Berea; Our Lady of Angels; St. Clement; St. Ignatius Elementary; St. Agnes, Cleveland and Elyria; St. Mary of the Falls and St. Rose. Sister Madeline worked as a nurse's aide at St. Joseph Hall (1973) and St. John's Hospital (1978-1980). In 1981, Sister received her LPN certification and worked at Fairview Hospital for six years as a staff nurse. She then went on to serve as a home healthcare provider for six years, as a staff LPN at A New Day adult day care center for five years and at Age Line Adult Day Care Center for 21 years. Sister Madeline is active in prayer line ministry and resides at St. Joseph Center.
70 Years Sister Marietta Starrie '49, CSJ (right bottom row of photo) entered religious life on September 8, 1949 from St. Ignatius Parish in Cleveland. She began her teaching career at St. Rose in Cleveland, where she taught second and third grade (1952-1958). She then taught science at Nazareth Academy (1958) and science at Saint Joseph Academy (1959-1968). After teaching, Sister went on to serve in the following roles: as pastoral associate at Sacred Heart (Elyria, 1968-1975), teacher and campus minister (Lorain County Community College, 1968-1977), campus minister and dorm director (Oberlin College, 1975-1977), dorm director and theology instructor (University of Notre Dame, 1977-1987) and administrator and retreat director at Betterway, Inc. (Elyria, 1987-1989). She then returned to Lorain County Community College, serving as chemistry instructor (1989-1994). After teaching, Sister Marietta came home to St. Joseph Center where she served as new member director (1989-1994) and then as part of the CSJ Leadership Team (1994-1999). She also served as co-parish life coordinator for Sacred Heart (Elyria, 2002-2009). She served the Diocese of Cleveland as Delegate for Religious beginning in 1999. Currently, Sister is active in prayer ministry and resides at Regina Health Center.
70 years Sister Antoinette Campanella '44, CSJ (Sister Concetta, left top row of photo) entered religious life on February 2, 1950 from St. Ignatius Parish in Cleveland. She began her long career in education at St. Clement in Lakewood where she taught third grade (1952-1961). She then taught second grade at St. Anthony of Padua (Parma, 1961-1968), first grade at St. Vincent de Paul (Cleveland, 1968-1969), first and sixth grades at St. Mary of the Falls (Olmsted Falls, 1969-1973), where she then served as principal (1973-1981). Her last teaching position was held at St. Bridget in Parma where she taught for 22 years (1981-2003). After teaching, Sister Antoinette stayed active in education by serving as a volunteer with Seeds of Literacy in Cleveland. Currently, she is active in prayer ministry and resides at St. Joseph Center.
70 Years Sister Agnes Schreiber '49, CSJ (Sister Mary Martin, right top row of photo) entered religious life on September 8, 1949 from St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Cleveland. She began her storied career in education at St. Thomas Aquinas (Cleveland, 1952). From there, Sister went on to teach at the primary level at St. Margaret Mary (South Euclid, 1953-1954), St. Colman (Cleveland, 1954-1955), St. Joseph (Strongsville, 1955-1957), St. Aloysius (Cleveland, 1957-1961), St. Agnes (Elyria, 1961-1964), St. Vincent de Paul (Cleveland, 1964-1966), St. Peter (Akron, 1966-1968), St. Bridget (Parma, 1968-1978), then back to St. Vincent de Paul for 17 years (1978-1995). After teaching, Sister Agnes served as a volunteer secretary at Seeds of Literacy in the morning and secretary of the rectory of the parish in the afternoon until 2002. she is active in prayer ministry and serves as Sacristan at St. Joseph Center, where she resides.
60 Years Sister Karen Lyons '59, CSJ (Sister Mary Rita, left bottom row of photo) entered religious life on August 30, 1959 from St. Clement Parish in Lakewood. She taught History at Nazareth Academy (1964-1968), then went on to teach at Saint Joseph Academy (1968-1973), and then served as Assistant Principal (1973-1979). She then transferred to Cleveland Central Catholic High School where she held the role of assistant principal from 1979-1996. After her career in education, Sister Karen came home to serve as facilities coordinator at St. Joseph Center and as a counselor at Saint Joseph Academy until 2009. She is active in prayer ministry and resides at Regina Health Center.